Re: GRANT ON ALL IN schema

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Petr Jelinek <pjmodos(at)pjmodos(dot)net>
Subject: Re: GRANT ON ALL IN schema
Date: 2009-06-17 13:44:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 17 June 2009 11:29:10 Petr Jelinek wrote:
> The patch allows "GRANT ON ALL TABLES/VIEWS/FUNCTIONS/SEQUENCES IN
> schemaname, schemaname2 TO username" and same thing for REVOKE.
> Words TABLES, VIEWS, FUNCTIONS and SEQUENCES were added as unreserved
> keywords. Unfortunately I was unable to create syntax with optional
> SCHEMA keyword after IN (shift/reduce conflicts), if it's needed maybe
> somebody with better bison knowledge might add it.

I think you should design this with a bit wider scope. Instead of just "all
tables in this schema", think "all tables satisfying some condition". It has
been requested, for example, to be able to grant on all tables that match a
pattern.

> Also since this patch introduces VIEWS as object with grantable
> privileges, I added GRANT ON VIEW foo syntax which is more or less
> synonymous to GRANT ON TABLE foo syntax. It felt weird to have GRANT ON
> ALL VIEWS but not GRANT ON VIEW.

As far as GRANT is concerned, a view is a table, so I would omit the
VIEW/VIEWS stuff completely.