BUG #4850: install of PostGIS password error

From: "ALEC TEBBUTT" <sunsong(at)dccnet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4850: install of PostGIS password error
Date: 2009-06-10 22:44:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 4850
Logged by: ALEC TEBBUTT
Email address: sunsong(at)dccnet(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.7.1
Operating system: Win XP Pro SP3
Details:

When installing PostGIS 1.3.6 the password for my user "postgres" is
required. My password contains punctuation characters such as caret "^".
These do not seem to be passed correctly to PostgreSQL as the password does
not authenticate. I can login to PG Admin III with that password no
problem.
To get the install to work I had to change my postgres superuser password to
something simple with only normal characters.
Thanks