Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Date: 2009-06-08 18:27:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Bruce Momjian<bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >>
> >> It's hardly difficult to make that happen --- just change the C name of
> >> some function, or the name of the whole .so file.
> >
> > Yes, but it needs to happen. ?;-) ?PostGIS has done this, which is good.
> > The problem is that if they don't do it it is out of the control of
> > pg_migrator.
>
> I think it might be possible to implement a system that can't be
> broken by accident. Firefox (at least AIUI) requires plugin authors
> to explicitly flag their modules as compatible with new versions of
> Firefox. When you upgrade your firefox installation in place (heh,
> heh) it goes off to the web site and checks whether all of your
> extensions have been so flagged. Any that have not been get disabled
> automatically.

Interesting it allows the flagging to happen in real-time, rather than
requiring the system to know at install time whether it is compatible
with future verions (almost an impossibility). I am afraid we would
need some kind of real-time check, or at least have major versions flag
which external stuff cannot be upgraded, which we have discussed here
already.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com