BUG #4843: non standard use string literal warning in RAISE WARNING

From: "Regina" <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4843: non standard use string literal warning in RAISE WARNING
Date: 2009-06-08 04:48:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 4843
Logged by: Regina
Email address: lr(at)pcorp(dot)us
PostgreSQL version: 8.4beta2
Operating system: Windows
Details:

I'm not sure if this is a bug or expected behavior. But in a new PostGIS
function we are writing, we are getting a

WARNING: nonstandard use of \' in a string literal HINT: Use to write
quotes in strings, or use the escape string syntax (E'...').

With sections of the code that look like
RAISE WARNING 'Not inserting \'%\' in \'%.%\' into geometry_columns: could
not determine ndims', quote_ident(gcs.attname), quote_ident(gcs.nspname),
quote_ident(gcs.relname);

The same function on 8.3.7 does not do this. I verified I have the
escape_string_warning switch enabled on both installs.

Details of the issue can be found here

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/190#comment:4