Re: Allow vacuumdb to only analyze

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow vacuumdb to only analyze
Date: 2009-06-03 14:27:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> I noticed in Bruce's talk that there are a number of post-migration
> steps which are currently partially manual. Ideally we'd like to
> automate them all, preferably in some sort of well-thought-out order.
> I actually suspect this is something like: analyze each database,
> reindex those indices invalidated by the upgrade, analyze each
> database again. Ideally we'd like to have some control over the
> degree of parallelism here too but that might be asking too much for
> 8.4.

I can easily have pg_migrator run those scripts itself but I pushed it
on to the administrator so pg_migrator could finish and they could
decide when to run those scripts. For example, there might only be
issues in a few databases and the other database could be used fully
while the upgrade scripts are running. The same hold for analyzing the
cluster --- anything I thought might take a while I gave to the
administrators.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com