Re: Managing multiple branches in git

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Date: 2009-06-02 23:53:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I can't escape the feeling that we're missing something basic here.
> It's allegedly one of git's great strengths that it allows you to easily
> and quickly switch your attention among multiple development branches.
> Well, so it does, if you haven't got any derived files to rebuild.

I hope this isn't anything particularly special because I feel like I've
been doing it forever, but..

==# cvs -z3 co pgsql
==# mkdir pgsql.build
==# cd pgsql.build
==# ../pgsql/configure --my-args-here
==# make

Keeps all the build files and everything in pgsql.build and leaves the
pgsql directory pristine.. I've pretty much always done things this way
so I guess I just assumed it was common. Maybe it's not what you're
looking for though.

Would that help?

Thanks,

Stephen