Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

From: "Markus Wanner" <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Greg Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Aidan Van Dyk" <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date: 2009-05-28 15:52:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Quoting "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> I don't think that was the idea - Aidan floated the idea of just
> checking the current version of each branch into git, rather than
> importing the full history from CVS (and letting indivdual cloners fix
> their own history if they were so inclined). I think that's a
> non-starter.

I'd say it depends on how hard it is to "fix" one's history. If it's
just a config option instructing git to fetch everything before
revision X from repository Y...

OTOH, it would certainly be nicer to have a "default" history, where
only people who require another history would need such a config
option. I'm not quite sure what's possible there.

> I don't think it's going to work for us to
> leave it broken until we're ready to do "the cutover", and then do one
> monolithic move.

Agreed. However, I'm pretty certain this won't be the last time we
have to "fix" the git repository. Conversion from a bunch of RCS files
is just way too ambiguous.

> If the tools we're using to do the import now have
> broken our tree, then we need to fix it, and them.

..and the CVS repository.

Regards

Markus Wanner