Re: Two upgrades this weekend ...

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, sysadmins(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Two upgrades this weekend ...
Date: 2009-05-23 14:11:44
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sat, 23 May 2009, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> Robert Treat wrote:
>> On Saturday 23 May 2009 00:35:05 Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> I need to perform two upgrades this weekend:
>>>
>>> pgfoundry.org
>>> pugs.postgresql.org
>>>
>>> We've been having an odd issue with our 64bit servers of late, and we've
>>> been slowly eliminating potential problems. Right now, I am working on
>>> eliminating a potential issue with running FreeBSD 6.x VPS/libraries on
>>> the FreeBSD 7.x servers, something that all three of our current 64bit
>>> servers have in varying degrees.
>>>
>>> Both pgfoundry.org and pugs.postgresql.org are running FreeBSD 6.x
>>> ports
>>> / libraries, so I will be upgrade them to proper 7.x VPSs.
>>>
>>> The downtime tends to vary, but will be at least 2hrs each, and I will
>>> do them sequentially .
>>>
>>> No config files will be changed, only the binaries upgraded /
>>> recompiled
>>> to be proper "native 7.x binaries" ...
>>>

>> Thanks for the heads up... any chance you can email pgsql-www when the
>> downtime begins (and optionally when it is done) ?
>
> it might also be important to mention that depending on what the definition
> of "binaries upgraded" is that our version of gforge might not work with
> certain newer stuff...

I'm going to duplicate pgfoundry *before* do the upgrade, so that if it
does fail completely, I can revert back to the 6.x version quickly ...

And yes, will send out a notice both before, and when completed ...

----
Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664