Re: Problem in GIT mirror (was Re: pgsql: Fix all the server-side SIGQUIT handlers ...)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Problem in GIT mirror (was Re: pgsql: Fix all the server-side SIGQUIT handlers ...)
Date: 2009-05-17 18:15:40
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-www

Tom Lane wrote:

> Problem:
> cvs-to-git mirror is buggy
>
> Proposed solution:
> install git and git-to-cvs emulator
>
> We should assume this will be less buggy?

Well, actually yes -- the git-to-cvs mechanism is integrated in Git,
whereas the cvs-to-git mirror is a rather unsupported hack.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-cvsserver.html

Something you will definitively not like about Git is that we will lose
the $PostgreSQL$ expansion stuff -- and there's no equivalent
functionality AFAIK.

> Oh, and the first case is not project-critical infrastructure but the
> second will be.

Git has been used by the Linux developers long enough that it's easy to
have confidence that it will serve us fine.