Re: Some 8.4 changes needed according to pg_migrator testing

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some 8.4 changes needed according to pg_migrator testing
Date: 2009-05-07 17:54:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Actually, there's another issue that comes to mind here: since we are
> relying on platform-dependent locale names, including those in the dump
> is going to pose a severe problem for porting dumps across platforms
> (where "different platform" could even mean "different libc release").
> We're already at risk with respect to dumps from 8.4, even without the
> above-proposed change.
>
> I am not sure what we can do about this. Ideas?

I don't think there's much we can do apart from telling the user not to
move stuff across platforms that do not have equally named locales.
Maybe what we can do is have a mechanism for pg_restore to map one
locale from the dump file into another. So the user can specify a file
with lines like
"en_US := English_UnitedStates"
etc

(For text dumps, the only solution would be for the user to edit the
dump manually; perhaps provide a pg_dump switch to avoid dumping
locale config?).