PANIC: right sibling's left-link doesn't match

From: Henry <henry(at)zen(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PANIC: right sibling's left-link doesn't match
Date: 2009-04-30 10:03:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Greets,

I've recently completed a lengthy repartitioning exercise on half a
dozen tables, restoring data, etc.

Something strange must have happened at some point (unrelated to the
partitioning exercise - a crash related to file descriptors if I
recall [not Pg's fault, mine]), because when I tried to modify a
parent table (which is partitioned):

ALTER TABLE tab ADD COLUMN col INT DEFAULT 0;

I get:

PANIC: right sibling's left-link doesn't match: block 35 links to 227
instead of expected 223 in index "pg_depend_depender_index"
before or while processing the request.

-----

I also had some 'damage' in another partitioned table, which I
resolved with REINDEX TABLE on all the partitions (it failed on INSERT
with an error about block 0 read problem or something).

I then restarted Pg in single-user mode and reindexed all the system tables.

The aforementioned ALTER TABLE now completes without error. My
question is: can I trust the state/stability of the DB now, or should
I dump, re-initdb and restore from scratch? Only problem is the DB is
large and takes 24*n hours to restore, so this is a last resort.

Thanks
Henry