Re: performance for high-volume log insertion

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>
Cc: david(at)lang(dot)hm, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: performance for high-volume log insertion
Date: 2009-04-21 19:25:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

* James Mansion (james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com) wrote:
> david(at)lang(dot)hm wrote:
>> on the other hand, when you have a full queue (lots of stuff to
>> insert) is when you need the performance the most. if it's enough of a
>> win on the database side, it could be worth more effort on the
>> applicaiton side.
> Are you sure preparing a simple insert is really worthwhile?
>
> I'd check if I were you. It shouldn't take long to plan.

Using prepared queries, at least if you use PQexecPrepared or
PQexecParams, also reduces the work required on the client to build the
whole string, and the parsing overhead on the database side to pull it
apart again. That's where the performance is going to be improved by
going that route, not so much in eliminating the planning.

Thanks,

Stephen