This is my first template

From: Geoff Caplan <geoff(at)uviva(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: This is my first template
Date: 2009-04-21 11:02:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi folks

Looks like there's something I'm not understanding about
date/time queries on a date field.

I have a param query that includes the statement:

AND active_from_date <= $2

where $2 is a well-formed ISO date.

Query works as expected when there are records in the result
set. When the result set is empty, PG throws an error:

date/time field value out of range: "2011-4-31"

I'm using the default datestyle setting, which should work
here, I think? Experimenting with other settings hasn't helped.

This query runs hundreds of times a day and I don't want the
error clogging up my logs. But I don't want to suppress the
error as the query is business-critical and I need to know
if anything goes wrong.

I'd welcome suggestions as to how I can get this query to
run without throwing a date/time error when the result set
is empty.

Thanks...

--
Geoff Caplan