Re: Archives policy

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Archives policy
Date: 2009-04-16 16:50:27
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Dave Page wrote:
>
>> OK, well I've removed the bit about removing illegal/unwanted
>> material. FWIW, we *will* remove such unwanted content, otherwise we
>> could easily become an online archive for pr0n/warez etc. which will
>> certainly not do our reputation any good.
>
> Now that you've hashed that out, would you explain *how* would you
> actually remove the posts? It requires editing the majordomo archive
> store, but I don't think many people has access to that ... I know I
> don't for one (and I keep wondering why, seeing how I am the de facto
> archives maintainer).

All list owners can delete messagse from their archives ... its built into
Mj2:

from 'help archive' which fully explains and examples teh
'archive-delete' option:

archive-delete[-hidden][-force] listname date_count_number
archive-get[-immediate][-hidden] listname date_count_number
archive-get-digest[-mime][-hidden] listname date_count_number
archive-index[-hidden] listname date_count_number
archive-part-delete listname message_number part_number
archive-part-edit listname message_number part_number
archive-part-get[-clean] listname message_number part_number
archive-stats[-hidden] listname date_count_number
archive-summary listname
archive-sync listname pattern
archive-part-replace listname message_number part_number <<ENDTAG
[New Contents]
ENDTAG
message_number, if specified, indicates a single message
part_number, if specified, refers to a portion of a message
pattern, if specified, indicates the names of files
-clean, if specified, removes dangerous portions of an HTML part
-delete, if specified, causes messages to be removed from the archive
-digest, if specified, causes messages to be mailed in digests
-edit, if specified, allows part of a posted message to be changed
-force, if specified, removes messages which await digest delivery
-get, if specified, causes whole messages to be displayed
-hidden, if specified, displays only hidden messages (admins only)
-immediate, if specified, displays messages without pretty formatting
-index, if specified, displays a summary of each message
-mime, if specified, causes digests to be mailed in "mime" format
-part, if specified, causes part of a posted message to be displayed
-replace, if specified, replaces part of a message with new contents
-stats, if specified, displays per-user statistics
-summary, if specified, lists archive files and their contents

----
Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664