BUG #4755: lost graphical relationship between tables in DbVis w/ new PG release

From: "Ellen Strnod" <estrnod(at)annealsoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4755: lost graphical relationship between tables in DbVis w/ new PG release
Date: 2009-04-10 22:30:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 4755
Logged by: Ellen Strnod
Email address: estrnod(at)annealsoft(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.7
Operating system: OS X 10.4.11
new PG release
Details:

I don't know for sure where the problem lies but as all other things are
equal, and this worked in PostgreSQL 8.0.3, I suspect it is an issue with
the newer PostgreSQL version I have downloaded (8.3.7) The JDBC driver
configured in my installation of DBVisualizer 6.5.5 being used to connect to
both versions of the PG database is postgresql-8.3-604.jdbc3.jar.

This is the DDL for two related tables:
CREATE
TABLE wine_variety
(
id INTEGER NOT NULL,
name CHARACTER VARYING(50) NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (id)
);

CREATE
TABLE wine_tasting
(
brand CHARACTER VARYING(50) NOT NULL,
variety_id INTEGER NOT NULL,
region CHARACTER VARYING(50),
YEAR INTEGER,
description CHARACTER VARYING(500),
store_rating INTEGER,
my_rating INTEGER,
id INTEGER NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (id),
CONSTRAINT wine_tasting_fk1 FOREIGN KEY (variety_id) REFERENCES
wine_variety (id)
);

When I select the wine-tasting table in DBVisualizer for the PostgreSQL
8.0.3 db and select the "References" tab, it correctly shows both tables in
the diagram, with a relationship line from wine-tasting to wine-variety
(labeled wine_tasting_fk1). When I view it in the PostgreSQL 8.3.7 db, it
shows only the wine-tasting table in the diagram.

The foreign key constraint is in effect in the new db, if I test by adding a
record with an invalid foreign key, so I suspect the information is coming
from another attribute - some metadata perhaps?