Re: More message encoding woes

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: More message encoding woes
Date: 2009-04-06 19:47:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Monday 30 March 2009 15:52:37 Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> In CVS HEAD, we call bind_textdomain_codeset() in SetDatabaseEncoding()
> which fixes that, but we only do it on Windows. In earlier versions we
> called it on all platforms, but only for UTF-8. It seems that we should
> call bind_textdomain_codeset on all platforms and all encodings.
> However, there seems to be a reason why we only do it for Windows on CVS
> HEAD: we need a mapping from our encoding ID to the OS codeset name, and
> the OS codeset names vary.

In practice you get either the GNU or the Solaris version of gettext, and at
least the GNU version can cope with all the encoding names that the currently
Windows-only code path produces. So enabling the Windows code path for all
platforms when ENABLE_NLS is on and LC_CTYPE is C would appear to work in
sufficiently many cases.