Re: Duplicate key value error

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Vlad Arkhipov <arhipov(at)dc(dot)baikal(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Duplicate key value error
Date: 2009-04-03 07:23:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vlad Arkhipov <arhipov(at)dc(dot)baikal(dot)ru> wrote:

> Is it possible to print which key value is duplicated when 'Duplicate
> key value violates unique constraint' occurs? Foreign key violation
> error reports such kind of information.

I think it is not difficult from a technical standpoint.
The attached patch adds DETAIL messages to duplicate key value error:

postgres=# INSERT INTO tbl(pk1, pk2) VALUES ('A', 1);
ERROR: duplicate key value violates unique constraint "tbl_pkey"
DETAIL: Key (pk1,pk2)=(A,1) already exists.

If no objection, I'd like to submit the patch to the next commit-fest (8.5).

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
report_dupkey.patch application/octet-stream 2.5 KB