Re: Hard link backup strategy

From: Michael Monnerie <michael(dot)monnerie(at)is(dot)it-management(dot)at>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hard link backup strategy
Date: 2009-03-31 12:00:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Montag 30 März 2009 Kevin Grittner wrote:
> I don't want anything to attempt to process a WAL file while it is in
> the process of being copied. By copying to a separate directory on
> the same mount point and moving it, once complete, to the location
> where other software is looking for WAL files, we avoid that problem.

Hm. So process A copies the WAL to dir1, then moves dir1/WAL to
somewhere else. But if process B processes WAL, it still does after the
cp. It is no problem if B reads, A can copy without a problem, even
without the cp before mv. And if B writes to WAL, you have other
problems. And if A deletes WAL, B can still process it as long as it
keeps the file open. So at least for Linux/Unix systems, I don't
understand the benefits of cp before mv.

> PostgreSQL version has nothing to do with it. PostgreSQL segments a
> table into 1GB files. Our largest tables are are either "insert
> only" or rarely have updates or deletes

OK, that's the reason. Our db's have lots of updates/deletes everywhere,
that's why I didn't think about it.

> Basically, the hard links will be used to conserve disk space; rsync
> will be used to conserve network bandwidth.

Yes, that can make sense if the 1GB parts don't change a lot. Good idea
for your scenario :-)

mfg zmi
--
// Michael Monnerie, Ing.BSc ----- http://it-management.at
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31 .network.your.ideas.