Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Redefine _() to dgettext() instead of gettext() so that it uses

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Redefine _() to dgettext() instead of gettext() so that it uses
Date: 2009-03-07 23:53:39
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Understood. In fact, after having a look at this patch and giving it a
> > little refactoring I think it's pretty obvious; right now we're calling
> > bind_textdomain_codeset only for the main domain, and with this patch we
> > also set it for all other domains we use.

> More generally, should we push the bindtextdomain calls themselves into
> the new function (and perhaps call it something else than
> SetDomainCodeSet)? Seems like logically this should be thought of as
> all one operation, ie, it's not clear to me that it ever makes sense to
> call bindtextdomain without also worrying about encoding.

I'm not sure that can be made to work easily. On the backend itself we
call bindtextdomain in set_pglocale_pgservice() which is also used by
programs in src/bin/. Shuffling things in there would be more involved
than seems worth.

As for names, how about pg_bind_textdomain_codeset?

Attachment Content-Type Size
pl-domain-codeset-2.patch text/x-diff 3.4 KB