Re: Can I use a query with UPDATE on its SET?

From: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can I use a query with UPDATE on its SET?
Date: 2009-02-26 13:41:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 02:15:49AM -0800, Eus wrote:
> Is it possible to eliminate the use of `fieldname' completely?
> So, I just need to type `UPDATE table SET (SELECT ...) WHERE primary_key'.
>
> I think this should be possible because if the subquery in the SET
> clause returns the same number of columns with the same types of those
> of the destination table, PostgreSQL should be able to just update the
> values at once.

Not at the moment; there was a discussion about it a while ago[1] on the
-hackers list. It all petered out after I couldn't think how to explain
my position and have since forgotten about it. I'll try and think what
I was trying to say and respond again.

--
Sam http://samason.me.uk/

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-01/msg02336.php