Re: Creating a function with single quotes

From: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: "Leif B(dot) Kristensen" <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creating a function with single quotes
Date: 2009-02-20 14:37:28
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Friday 20 February 2009 6:29:43 am Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
> On Friday 20. February 2009, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> >Actually you need both semicolons. One after the RETURN statement and
> > one after the END statement
> >See below for full details:
> >http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/plpgsql-structure.html
>
> I see the documentation, but empirically you don't need the semicolon
> after the END.
>
> About twenty years ago I wrote a lot of Turbo Pascal code, and IIRC
> semicolon after an END was allowed but considered bad style.

Learned something new. I went and reread the docs and found:

"Each declaration and each statement within a block is terminated by a
semicolon. A block that appears within another block must have a semicolon
after END, as shown above; however the final END that concludes a function body
does not require a semicolon."

I have always seen them terminated with a semicolon and did that assuming thing.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net