Re: fillfactor for toast tables is useless?

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fillfactor for toast tables is useless?
Date: 2009-02-13 01:57:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> > With reloption patch, we can set WITH options to toast tables.
> > However, fillfactor for toast tables is useless, no?
>
> Maybe what we should do is just reject fillfactor for toast tables for
> now. I think this is easy to do.

Hmmm... this might have been discussed already, I think it would be better
to have relopt_kind not as a sequence number but as a bit flag.
If it was flags, we can reject fillfactor for toast tables in a natural way
without duplicated autovacuum_* definitions:

- fillfactor -> RELOPT_KIND_HEAP
- autovacuum_* -> RELOPT_KIND_HEAP | RELOPT_KIND_TOAST

26 entries are remained even after we use 6 kinds in the core.
(HEAP, TOAST, BTREE, HASH, GIN and GIST)

The attached is a patch to change 3 things:
- Reject toast.fillfactor.
- Modify relopt_kind to bit flags.
- Report relation type on "unrecognized parameter" errors.

Comments welcome.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
reject_toast_fillfactor.patch application/octet-stream 15.8 KB