Re: Clarification to catalog-pg-class

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clarification to catalog-pg-class
Date: 2009-02-07 19:29:29
Lists: pgsql-docs

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> >> Currently, catalog-pg-class is a bit confusing as to where FKs are
> >> tracked in pg_class. Please update the lines for relchecks and
> >> reltriggers to read:
> >>
> >> relchecks int2 Number of check constraints on the table (but not
> >> other types of constraints); see pg_constraint catalog
> >
> > Uh, why do we have to say "but" when we clearly say "check constraints"?
> > Do we need to say "CHECK" contraints?
>
> Because I've encountered two people on IRC (and a client) who were
> confused about this, and it confused me briefly when I fielded their
> questions. Saying "CHECK constraints" would also probably do it, or
> saying "check constraints (only)"

Uppercase done, with <literal> tag.

> BTW, why do we still have relukeys etc. around? If we haven't used them
> in 5 versions, shouldn't we purge them?

Uh, that one is gone now:

Table "pg_catalog.pg_class"
Column | Type | Modifiers
----------------+-----------+-----------
relname | name | not null
relnamespace | oid | not null
reltype | oid | not null
relowner | oid | not null
relam | oid | not null
relfilenode | oid | not null
reltablespace | oid | not null
relpages | integer | not null
reltuples | real | not null
reltoastrelid | oid | not null
reltoastidxid | oid | not null
relhasindex | boolean | not null
relisshared | boolean | not null
relkind | "char" | not null
relnatts | smallint | not null
relchecks | smallint | not null
relhasoids | boolean | not null
relhaspkey | boolean | not null
relhasrules | boolean | not null
relhastriggers | boolean | not null
relhassubclass | boolean | not null
relfrozenxid | xid | not null
relacl | aclitem[] |
reloptions | text[] |

> >> reltriggers int2 Number of triggers on the table, including
> >> constraint-triggers for foreign keys; see pg_trigger catalog
> >
> > pg_class doesn't have that column anymore, it has relhastriggers.
>
> Ah. Where are we tracking FKs at this point, then?

The count was only used to determine if we should check for triggers, so
we now use a boolean; the code checks are the same.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com