Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Matt Burke <mattblists(at)icritical(dot)com>
Cc: glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk, Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller
Date: 2009-02-06 15:27:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

Matt Burke wrote:
> Glyn Astill wrote:
> >> Stupid question, but why do people bother with the Perc line of
> >> cards if the LSI brand is better? It seems the headache of trying
> >> to get the Perc cards to perform is not worth any money saved.
> >
> > I think in most cases the dell cards actually cost more, people end
> > up stuck with them because they come bundled with their servers -
> > they find out too late that they've got a lemon.
>
> That's what's been happening with me... The fact Dell prices can have a
> fair bit of downward movement when you get the account manager on the
> phone makes them especially attractive to the people controlling the
> purse strings.
>
> The biggest reason for me however is the lack of comparative reviews. I
> struggled to get the LSI card to replace the PERC3 because all I had to
> go on was qualitative mailing list/forum posts from strangers. The only
> way I got it was to make the argument that other than trying the LSI,
> we'd have no choice other than replacing the server+shelf+disks.
>
> I want to see just how much better a high-end Areca/Adaptec controller
> is, but I just don't think I can get approval for a ?1000 card "because
> some guy on the internet said the PERC sucks". Would that same person
> say it sucked if it came in Areca packaging? Am I listening to the
> advice of a professional, or a fanboy?

The experiences I have heard is that Dell looks at server hardware in
the same way they look at their consumer gear, "If I put in a cheaper
part, how much will it cost Dell to warranty replace it". Sorry, but I
don't look at my performance or downtime in the same way Dell does. ;-)

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com