Re: autovacuum question

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Marc Mamin <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum question
Date: 2009-02-04 16:59:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Marc Mamin wrote:

> There are 2 features that would be helpfull in my case:
>
> - define vacuum properties on table groups rather than on given tables:
>
> For example, I don't want to vacuum daily tables which can be
> identified with a regexp:
> tablename ~ '\.*d_[0-9]{8}'

Hmm. I'm not really sure how could we handle this kind of situation.

Something that strikes me as useful is the ability to say "please don't
autovacuum any tables except those that I mark it so". Right now you
can only disable autovac for particular tables, not enable them.

> - automatically remove the pg_autovacuum entry when a table is dropped
> (well it's not such complicated...)

Yep.

> And 2 questions:
>
> Can I disable track_counts when I'm not using autovacuum, or is it used
> for other purposes ?

Other than the various pg_stat views, they are not used anywhere else.

> Free Space Map: is it affected by dropped tables ? Or more generally,
> must I care with it in a special way in my situation ?

No, don't worry about it.