Re: 8.4 release planning

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning
Date: 2009-01-28 16:53:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 08:55:56 Magnus Hagander wrote:
> We're still going to have to pay the full cost of doing a release every
> time. With beta/rc management, release notes, announcements, postings,
> packaging and all those things.

As I pointed out to Tom, by percentage the additional beta/release cycles
wouldn't be very different than what we have now; the more churn you have
during development, the longer it takes to beta/release.

I'm pretty sure that if we had pushed everything not committed on December
1st, we would be very close to release right now, and that's with more dev
cycles than I'm talking about for 8.5. And I think most people (aka not the
patch authors :-) would have been willing to push the stuff we're dealing
with now if they knew the next release would be closer to 6 months than 14
months.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net