Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date: 2009-01-15 16:11:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> Here's an updated version of the psql backslash patch that should
> >> apply cleanly to the current HEAD. To recap, this makes all the \dX
> >> commands (most importantly to most: \df) work like \dt does, in that it
> >> requires a \dXS to see system items. See the archives for much more
> >> discussion on the issue.
> >
> > Patch applied, thanks.
>
> This patch has annoyed me twice in two days now, and similarly with
> other people I know. Having to type \dfS now is about the worst loss of
> usability in psql that I can recall. Can we reconsider or revert this?

Well, \dT is even worse. ;-) (How many users have user-defined types?)

The basic goal of the patch was to make 'S' consistent for all \d
backslash commands, and we had a lot of discussion about it, and many
people asked for it (I can't find my user functions). It is hard to
argue that our previous behavior was logical (though perhaps useful).

The only thing I can suggest at this point is some kind of setting that
defaults to 'S' for psql \d commands, but that is going to affect \dt as
well.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com