Re: PGOPTIONS and default_tablespace

From: Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de
To: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGOPTIONS and default_tablespace
Date: 2009-01-14 10:44:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello Scott,

> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:09:19 -0700
> From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>

> > without success I tried to set the default tablespace via the
> environment variable PGOPTIONS.
> >
> > My tries:
> > set PGOPTIONS="default_tablespace='pgdata'"

> I do this one of two ways usually. Either I set the user / database
> to have a default tablespace permanently via alter user / database, or
> I put it at the top of my script I'm running. PGOPTIONS isn't really
> the place I think of setting it myself.

The ALTER USER way works perfectly. Thanks a lot!

There's just one detail I'm not happy with.:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/manage-ag-tablespaces.html

"If a database is created without specifying a tablespace for it, it uses the same tablespace as the template database it is copied from."

It would be really nice if the create db commands would follow the default_tablespace setting as well.

Thank you very much,

Peter Seifert

--
Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K1308T4569a