Re: A single escape required for log_filename

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A single escape required for log_filename
Date: 2009-01-14 02:16:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew,

* Andrew Dunstan (andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net) wrote:
> Then Debian is (surprise!) not doing the smartest thing.

As Gregory pointed out, Debian is doing it for some very good reasons,
and is doing it the best it can. Also, I have a huge amount of respect
for Martin Pitt (the Debian maintainer), and if there's a better
approach or a better option, which keeps the promises we've made to our
users and works with Debian policy, I'm confident that Martin would be
more than happy to implement it. He's done some amazingly excellent
work on supporting multiple concurrent major PostgreSQL versions which
has been invaluable to us.

> Not using the logging collector means you miss several possible
> advantages, including CSV logs and protection against multiplexed
> log lines.

Users, of course, can always change it. If a user configures PG to log
in a different way, then Debian will respect that. I'd be happy to help
you find the appropriate places in the code to look (as I did) at how
it's handled.

> Surely a good log rotator allows a custom rotation action (in this case,
> connecting to postgres and calling 'select pg_rotate_logfile()' )

Yes, logrotate will happily call external applications. Maybe I'm
missing something, but obviously if PG can't be configured with a fixed
filename, pg_rotate_logfile() doesn't help the situation.

Thanks,

Stephen