PGOPTIONS and default_tablespace

From: Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PGOPTIONS and default_tablespace
Date: 2009-01-12 09:34:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

without success I tried to set the default tablespace via the environment variable PGOPTIONS.

My tries:
set PGOPTIONS="default_tablespace='pgdata'"
set PGOPTIONS=default_tablespace='pgdata'
set PGOPTIONS=default_tablespace(pgdata)
set PGOPTIONS=default_tablespace('pgdata')

When I try to connect to the server via psql I get the error message: "FATAL: invalid command-line arguments for server process. HINT: Try "postgres --help" for more information."

However, when I start the server with: postgres -c default_tablespace='pgdata'
it works.

What am I missing?

The OS is Windows xp Pro sp3. PostgreSQL version: 8.3.5.

BTW: Why aren't new databases created in the 'new' tablespace? Just because it's not a dbspace but a tablespace? It would be much more convenient if the createdb commands would make use of the default_tablespace setting as it's the case with tables.

Thank you very much,

Peter Seifert