Re: Warning about the 8.4 release

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Warning about the 8.4 release
Date: 2009-01-06 19:53:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> Most of the entries are quite frankly junk,
>
> > That was the same reaction Tom had. Again, many might be junk, but is
> > it 100% junk. What about:
>
> > 8.4 - psql output for \l
>
> Done (and this is on the commitfest page anyway)

Did you respond to this comment?

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-01/msg00154.php

> > HAVE_FSEEKO for WIN32
>
> Proposes moving win32-only code into port.h,
> which is 100% wrong IMHO

The problem is that we override fseeko only in pg_dump, while it should
be done globally for Win32; that is what Andrew was asking about. Am I
missing something?

> > stat() vs cygwin
>
> According to the thread, no one but you thinks there's a
> problem.

Well, I offered to document the problem, and have done that now.

> > Memory mess introduced by recent funcapi.c patch
>
> Fixed

OK.

> > The suppress_redundant_updates_trigger() works incorrectly
>
> Fixed

OK.

> > So what's an "empty" array anyway?
>
> Blue-sky discussion about a fundamental behavior change
> that should certainly not be put into 8.4 in a rush.

Added to TODO.

> As-is, this list is completely unhelpful. It looks like you've dumped
> all your unread mail onto this page and asked the rest of us to sort it
> for you. I'm sorry, but I've got other things to do.

That explains why people were confused. I never intended for the list
to be scanned --- I only wanted to give people and idea of the _volume_
I am looking at; I will approach people individually to close them,
though the comments I did get were very helpful.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com