Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1389)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, bruce(at)momjian(dot)us, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com
Subject: Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1389)
Date: 2009-01-06 12:12:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

KaiGai Kohei wrote:

> Alvaro, could you check the patched code on reloptions.h, reloptions.c
> and rel.h? It is a working example of string reloptions, and I could
> found a few strange codes.

I'm intending to revisit the string code ... I was thinking yesterday
night that I shouldn't have committed it at all, and left it for a
subsequent patch that I had more chance to test properly :-(

> 1. HANDLE_STRING_RELOPTION() always put an empty string when
> optstring->default_isnull is true, even if user gives a
> valid string reloption.

This is a plain bug, sorry.

> 2. HANDLE_STRING_RELOPTION() cannot handle an offset style.
> The patched one enables to put reloption string on the
> tail of StdRdOptions structure, and adjust offset value.

I'll look at it, thanks.

> 3. Why the "StdRdOptions lopts;" is necessary?

It is like this because the autovacuum patch adds a few more options and
I want to have the chance to not allocate the part belonging to
autovacuum when none of the options are present.

> And, I have a request.
> 4. Is it possible to support a call-back to validate a given
> string reloption? I want to check whether the given default
> Row-level ACLs has a valid format, or not.

Hmm, why a callback and not just call the validation function in
heap_reloptions?