Re: Tablespaces

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tablespaces
Date: 2004-02-27 16:42:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"scott.marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD wrote:
>>> How would it get to be empty? Are you thinking of some sort of "connect
>>> database to tablespace" and "disconnect database from tablespace"
>>> commands that would respectively create and delete the per-database
>>> subdirectory? That seems moderately reasonable to me. We could then
>>
>> I would only allow the drop if the directory only contains empty db oid
>> directories.

That's subject to race conditions (ie, someone creating a table about
the same time you are deciding it's okay to drop the tablespace). There
needs to be some interlock, and I think that associating that lock with
infrequently executed connect/disconnect operations would be good from a
performance standpoint.

> Wouldn't this be better tracked in the dependency tracking that's already
> built into postgresql?

No, because dependencies are local to individual databases.