Re: Idea - fallback mode for psql backslash commands using information_schema

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Idea - fallback mode for psql backslash commands using information_schema
Date: 2008-12-29 21:02:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I think I've got a nice TODO item for psql client:
>
> When a client connects to a database which has unknown (newer)
> version it might be advisable to 'fallback' some commands to use
> INFORMATION_SCHEMA instead of system catalogs.
>

> For instance when connected to 8.4dev server using 8.3 client,
> after issuing \d foo_table you get:
> ERROR: column "reltriggers" does not exist
> LINE1: SELECT relhasindex, relkind, relchecks, reltriggers, relhasr....
>
> Of course the information_schema will probably be less efficient
> and won't have PostgreSQL-specific items like 'Has OIDs', but
> the user experience should be better.
>
> My question is: does it look like a good TODO item? :)

That seems like duplicate effort. The clearer solution would just be to
use information_scema where possible for all psql backslash commands so
you don't have to maintain two versions. I think the problem is that
lots of information we need is not in the information schema.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com