Relational database design book

From: Michael Hall <mick(at)mjhall(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Relational database design book
Date: 2008-12-14 12:00:47
Lists: pgsql-general

This is slightly off topic perhaps, but maybe not too much ...

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good general book on relational database design. I am using PostgreSQL, so a PG-centric book would be best, but I'm mainly interested in the art/science of good SQL database design regardless of the actual database product used.

I'm not a total beginner, but have not used databases to do much more than store web page content and authenticate users to date. I don't mind heavy-going, I prefer that to fluff.

I suppose I'm looking for a highly regarded "classic" text, a bit like Martin Fowler's or the Gang of Four's texts on object-oriented design patterns, which are applicable to many programming languages. Not so classic that it's out of date of course!

TIA
Mick