Re: When to hold Pg East

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Melanie <melanie(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: When to hold Pg East
Date: 2008-12-11 19:39:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thursday 11 December 2008 12:06:59 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 11:41 -0500, Melanie wrote:
> > Don't you guys think the location(s) of said event is relevant to
> > determining someones ability to go? There is a big difference in making
> > plans to go to Boston if you're in Jacksonville vs say Charlotte.
> >
> > The linuxfest that Andrew did in October had us talking to a lot of guys
> > who have lost their jobs or are concerned about it, they wanted a
> > t-shirt but the money for a t-shirt would pay for gas, paying to be in a
> > city like Boston or NYC is different also than even Philly or College
> > park. It just seems a relevant feature in making plans.
>
> The thing that a very few but vocal people (which Melanie just touched
> on) are ignoring is goals of the conference. East and West are not
> international conferences. They aren't designed to be. We have other
> conferences handling that.

I'm guessing that 50%+ of the attendees of pgcon come from the US. You may not
have the same goal, but you do target much of the same market. And the more
your target audience overlaps, the more it is an issue.

> The idea that a United States Conference should care about a Canadian
> one is silly. Just as PgEU.Day didn't care that it moved its conference
> to when West was held. It was unfortunate that it happen and it
> precluded me from going to PgEU.Day but I certainly don't mind beyond
> that because it was obviously the best time for them to hold their
> conference.

That fact that something is unfortunate, to me, means that you ought to care.
At least a little.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net