Re: When to hold Pg East

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Melanie <melanie(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: When to hold Pg East
Date: 2008-12-11 17:06:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 11:41 -0500, Melanie wrote:
> Don't you guys think the location(s) of said event is relevant to
> determining someones ability to go? There is a big difference in making
> plans to go to Boston if you're in Jacksonville vs say Charlotte.
>
> The linuxfest that Andrew did in October had us talking to a lot of guys
> who have lost their jobs or are concerned about it, they wanted a
> t-shirt but the money for a t-shirt would pay for gas, paying to be in a
> city like Boston or NYC is different also than even Philly or College
> park. It just seems a relevant feature in making plans.

The thing that a very few but vocal people (which Melanie just touched
on) are ignoring is goals of the conference. East and West are not
international conferences. They aren't designed to be. We have other
conferences handling that.

The idea that a United States Conference should care about a Canadian
one is silly. Just as PgEU.Day didn't care that it moved its conference
to when West was held. It was unfortunate that it happen and it
precluded me from going to PgEU.Day but I certainly don't mind beyond
that because it was obviously the best time for them to hold their
conference.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--