Re: Mostly Harmless: Welcoming our C++ friends

From: David Lee Lambert <davidl(at)lmert(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mostly Harmless: Welcoming our C++ friends
Date: 2008-12-05 09:34:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday 05 December 2008 03:55, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Kurt Harriman wrote:
> > Sometimes people would like to call C++ code in the PostgreSQL
> > backend environment... for example, in user-defined functions,
> > triggers, access methods. And there is sometimes a need for
> > C++ code to call back into PostgreSQL's C functions, such as
> > the SPI interface.
>
> Have you considered writing a procedural language plugin for C++?
> PostgreSQL supports a lot of extension languages, and none of them
> require the amount of backend changes that you outline here, because the
> PL plugin serves as glue.

I think this patch is great, although I haven't had time to test it yet. The
only real "backend change" is the exception-handling clause; and the fact
that the backend will also be linked against the C++ runtime library.
Everything else is routine stuff that an experienced C++ developer would end
up catching while trying to get his build-system for a new project running;
but it could certainly scare away someone with less experience. Better to
deal with this way ahead of time and test it on a few platforms.

--
David Lee Lambert ... Software Developer
Cell phone: +1 586-873-8813 ; alt. email <dlambert(at)bmtcarhaul(dot)com> or