Re: NUMA architecture and PostgreSQL

From: lst_hoe02(at)kwsoft(dot)de
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NUMA architecture and PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-11-28 10:32:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

Zitat von Fabricio <fabrixio1(at)hotmail(dot)com>:

> Hi...
>
> I have an IBM server with NUMA architecture, two nodes with 4 CPU
> quad core and 64 GB of RAM each, and PostgrSQL 8.3.5. Is there any
> way to avoid the performance degradation when the load goes up and
> used the two nodes? I understand this performance degradation is due
> to the higher latency than a cpu access a remote memory that the
> local memory. But there are ways to improve this?
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-04/msg01187.php

As far as i can see PostgreSQL is not able to support NUMA? With a
little search i get to rellay interesting links according to the
problem and a potential solution supported by Oracle (using huge
pages). Unfortunately PostgreSQL seams not using "huge pages" until
now??

http://oss.linbit.com/hugetlb/
http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/kevin-closson-index/oracle-on-opteron-k8l-numa-etc/

Any comments on this from PostgreSQL developers?

Regards

Andreas