Re: Custom variables and flags, again

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Custom variables and flags, again
Date: 2008-11-17 01:12:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> void DefineCustomVariable(enum config_type type, const void *variable);
> What happens
> when we add some field or other to those structs?

I considered the case and chose the new interface because it behaves
*well* in the case. We can freely add new fields at the end of structs
(config_generic and config_<type>) as long as zero means 'default' in
the new fields. Unassigned fields in struct variables are filled with
zero in C.

There are problems when we modify the middle fields in those
structs, but it means modification of existing arguments in
DefineCustomXXXVariable(); The same problems occur in both
implementations.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro