Re: db_user_namespace, md5 and changing passwords

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fernando Moreno <azazel(dot)7(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: db_user_namespace, md5 and changing passwords
Date: 2008-11-11 03:12:43
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Tom Lane escribi?:
> > >
> > > We are? It's no more or less ugly than the day it was put in (the
> > > MD5 encryption option was already there).
> > >
> > > If we had some improved replacement to offer, I'd be all for getting
> > > rid of db_user_namespace; but without that I think we're just taking
> > > away a feature that some people are using. At least, the argument
> > > was made back in 2002 that people would use this if they had it;
> > > do we have evidence to the contrary now?
> >
> > I also disagree with removing it. I know some people (few and far
> > apart) are using it.
>
> Well, I posted about this in August with no one replying:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2008-08/msg00068.php
>
> Basically, there is a mismatch between what libpq and the backend think
> is the username, and that affects how MD5 uses the salt on the two sides
> of the connection. The minimal solution would be to document this and
> print a proper error message.

I have developed the attached patch, which documents the inability to
use MD5 with db_user_namespace, and throws an error when it is used:

psql: FATAL: MD5 authentication is not supported when "db_user_namespace" is enabled

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
/pgpatches/md5 text/x-diff 1.6 KB