Re: Re: [BUGS] libpq does not manage SSL callbacks properly when other libraries are involved.

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>, PoolSnoopy <tlatzelsberger(at)gmx(dot)at>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [BUGS] libpq does not manage SSL callbacks properly when other libraries are involved.
Date: 2008-11-07 23:21:53
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the review, Magnus.  I have adjusted the patch to use the
> > same mutex every time the counter is accessed, and adjusted the
> > pqsecure_destroy() call to properly decrement in the right place.
> >
> > Also, I renamed the libpq global destroy function to be clearer
> > (the function is not exported).
>
> There's a problem in this patch which is that it is inconsistent in its
> use of the ENABLE_THREAD_SAFETY symbol.  init_ssl_system() is only going
> to keep the refcount in the threaded compile; but the safeguards are
> needed even when threading is not enabled.  Moreover,

Actually, CRYPTO_set_locking_callback() and CRYPTO_set_id_callbac() are
needed only for threaded SSL programs;  I have added a comments
mentioning that.

> destroy_ssl_system() is locking thread mutexes outside
> ENABLE_THREAD_SAFETY which is going to cause non-threaded builds to
> fail.

Yes, my defines were very messed up;  updated version attached.

> As a suggestion, I'd recommend not fooling around with backend files
> when you're only modifying libpq.  It enlarges the patch without
> benefit.  I think that patch should be committed separately.

OK, I will do that, though the backend change is being made to be
consistent with the front end.