Re: pre-MED

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pre-MED
Date: 2008-11-03 14:32:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 10:02:24AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
>
> > However, there are little lacunæ like this:
> >
> > SELECT * FROM show_qual() s(a)
> > WHERE A NOT IN (
> > SELECT 'foo' UNION ALL SELECT 'bar'
> > );
> > ------------------------
> > (NOT (hashed subplan))
>
> This little lacuna seems to say that if you pass the wrong query to
> dblink, it will fail to work, possibly with a very obscure error
> message; it will be very difficult to debug, and also very difficult
> (if not impossible) to workaround.

I understand that a full implementation of SQL/MED will involve just
about every part of PostgreSQL, but we've got a case of "le mieux est
l'enemi du bien" with this contrived example, which I included so
people could be fully informed when using this very helpful new
feature. Left out are the very large benefits that, for example,
dblink gets for free.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!