Re: tsearch2 problem

From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tsearch2 problem
Date: 2008-10-31 10:37:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:10:20 +0300 (MSK)
Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> wrote:

> Jodok,
>
> you got what's you defined. Please, read documentation.
> In short, word doesn't indexed if it is not recognized by any
> dictionaried from stack of dictionaries. Put stemming dictionary
> at the end, which recognizes everything.

Could you rephrase?
I've a similar situation whose real solution would be to have 2+
tsvectors (English and Italian) but that now looks too costly to
implement.

I'd like to have "proper full support" for English so that eg. it
recognise plurals etc... and "acceptable" support for Italian so
that if I chose something that's not in the English dictionary... at
least it is put "as is" in the tsvector.

I've built the tsvectors similarly to:
setweight(
to_tsvector('pg_catalog.english',
coalesce(FilterCode(catalog_items.Code),'')
), 'A')

No setup of tsearch2 was made. Just installed and started to use
to_tsvector, to_tsquery and Co. functions.

If I run Italian words through to_ts* they mostly remain as they are
with some exceptions when there is some superposition with English.

Till now it looks as an acceptable compromise but I wouldn't like to
have surprises before I find the resources to actually do what
should be done (fully support the 2 languages).

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it