Re: Yet another infrastructure problem

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "Andrew Sullivan" <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Yet another infrastructure problem
Date: 2008-10-31 02:40:21
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thursday 30 October 2008 09:06:32 Dave Page wrote:
> Further, it reduces our ability to re-deploy services quickly where
> ever we like (though granted that would be offset somewhat by having
> more machines). We would need to ensure that our OSs were equally well
> spread out geographically to ensure we could redeploy any service in
> any data center as we currently can (and, on occasion, do).

Is this really true? ISTM for much of the software we maintain, having the
config files / scripts all checked into svn would be enough to enable us to
re-deploy on even completely different hardware/OS without a large amount of
effort, which probably would open up other options for hosting... case in
point, I'm pretty sure we could pop out a VM for postgres needs, but it would
need to run solaris since since we're geared toward zones. For something like
jabber, I believe we already run the same jabber software as postgresql.org,
so it sure seems like it should be easy to move it back and forth even across
different systems... I'd guess there are other services like this too, and
probably other people in similar situations.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net