Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?
Date: 2008-10-30 14:11:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:53:27AM +1100, Grant Allen wrote:
> Other big benefits come with XML ... but that is even more dependent on the
> starting point. Oracle and SQL Server will see big benefits in compression
> with this, because their XML technology is so mind-bogglingly broken in the
> first place.

It seems to me that for this use case, you can already get the
interesting compression advantages in Postgres, and have been getting
them since TOAST was introduced back when the 8k row limit was broken.
It's recently been enhanced, ISTR, so that you can SET STORAGE with
better granularity.

Indeed, it seems to me that in some ways, the big databases are only
catching up with Postgres now on this front. That alone oughta be
news :)

--
Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com