Re: How to know the password for the user 'postgres'

From: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to know the password for the user 'postgres'
Date: 2008-10-28 13:27:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 01:43:08PM +0100, Thomas wrote:
> Yes this allows to login remotely through ssh for instance. But it
> doesn't offer a bigger backdoor than having a weak password on a sudo
> account.

In my eyes, the you've just increased the attack surface available for
getting the data---you've gone from a single account to two. Having
a weak password on the sudo account is still a way in, in addition
to breaking the postgres password. In practical terms this should
affect things materially; if you've got a strong password on the sudoers
account you're likely to have a strong one on the postgres account and
vice versa.

Sam