Re: [HACKERS] Hot Standby utility and administrator functions

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Hot Standby utility and administrator functions
Date: 2008-10-27 17:08:51
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Monday 27 October 2008 12:12:18 Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 11:42 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > On Monday 20 October 2008 05:25:29 Simon Riggs wrote:
> > > I'm looking to implement the following functions for Hot Standby, to
> > > allow those with administrative tools or management applications to
> > > have more control during recovery. Please let me know if other
> > > functions are required.
> > >
> > > What else do we need?
> >
> > Is it possible to give the master/slave knowledge about each other?
>
> Yes, but for what reason?

Was thinking that admin tools that show hot standby information might also
want to show the corresponding slave information (from the point of view of
the master). It might also allow tools to not have to be configured for all
servers... ie connect to one and lookup the other.

> The project I'm working on is Hot Standby, not streaming replication.
> That will link things together better than they are now, so I'd probably
> rather not prejudge/duplicate that.

It's possible this type of information isn't appropriate for our Hot Standby
implementation, but it is somewhat common in asynchronous and/or master/slave
systems.

--
Robert Treat