Re: Strategies for validating WAL-shipping replication

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strategies for validating WAL-shipping replication
Date: 2008-10-20 13:20:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Florian Weimer wrote:
> We've set up WAL-shipping replication on one of our database servers,
> and the question is whether it runs correctly. Is there an easy way
> to access some tables and see if the data matches (possibly in
> single-user mode)?
>
> Stopping replication and starting the server for real on the replica
> means that we have to set up things from scratch, right? (This is a
> bit annoying because of the amount of data which has to be copied from
> the master.)

The OmniTI guys gave a talk some time ago on how they used Solaris ZFS
to create a filesystem snapshot, on which they stopped the recovery and
started postmaster. This could run queries. The original copy
continues running recovery, and whenever you want to "update your
slave", you stop the second postmaster, delete the snapshot, and create
a new one.

Cumbersome ...