Re: Strategies for validating WAL-shipping replication

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strategies for validating WAL-shipping replication
Date: 2008-10-20 13:54:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 08:31 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:

> We've set up WAL-shipping replication on one of our database servers,
> and the question is whether it runs correctly.

There's two answers here.

The first is that the code used is exactly the same as crash recovery.
So if you trust crash recovery you should trust archive recovery, which
means WAL shipping. The differences are all about where you start and
stop WAL replay.

The second is that any form of replication requires testing.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com